Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Bolt Action - Review: Warlord Games Plastic Mark V Sherman

I recently decided I needed some armour support for my Canadian Kangaroo army list and what better way to do that then to add in a Sherman? As a fan of plastic kits, I knew I had to try out the Warlord Games Sherman V and I recently picked one up as a prize from the All Over October event I attended in Melbourne. The Sherman V is also known as the Sherman M4A4 and is the lend-lease version of the Sherman used by Great Britain.



As you can see below, the kit comes with 3 sprues, a decal sheet and an assembly guide. This is to make the standard 75mm British Sherman that you'd find in Western Europe in the later stages of the war.


I do have a slight issue with the instructions. The parts on the sprues are not labelled and sometimes it is an effort to find which part is required, especially with the tiny handles and other bits. This is a pretty big missed opportunity, to make your kits a bit easier for first-time modellers and something I hope Warlord doesn't carry on to future kits.


Then on the flip side, Warlord has come up with some great new ideas to add small details without having them be impossible to add into place. With these tow hooks on the front hull of the Sherman, instead of trying to glue these tiny details straight onto the front, you put them in from behind, through holes in the hull, which gives them strength and ensures that they won't just snap off with the slightest touch.


The detail is really nice. You get 2 different crewmen, as well as some extra stowage pieces like spare roadwheels. You can also assemble it with hatches open or closed. I left the tracks off mine to paint it, as I find painting around tracks to be a labour, and you can see in the background of the picture below that Warlord still does their tracks in two pieces. While not a fan of this design, they did manage to go together on this Sherman without any problems and seem to be a better fit then earlier kits.


I've painted my Mark V, as a member of B Squadron of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. This is a Canadian unit that saw action in Western Europe and was involved in Operation Totalize, alongside Priest Kangaroos, which is going to be the setting for my list.




I've left the driver's hatch open, as I am still looking for a model to place in there as the driver. The kit does have a second crewmen, but it is identical to the commander of my DD Sherman, so I plan to use another when I find a suitable replacement.


You may also notice my freehand markings. The decal sheet that comes with the kit has many of the markings I used on it already, but as a quirk, I prefer freehand markings over decals.


Well, there you go. That is the Warlord Sherman Mark V plastic kit. It's a great kit. I'd give it 9 out of 10 maple leafs. I am torn on whether I should pick up a second, or buy a Sherman III instead to make the iconic tank known as Bomb, from the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. Either way, if you're after a Sherman and like plastic as much as I do, I can definitely recommend this kit.



"Anf" is a long-time gamer from Down Under, who currently focuses his hobby time on Bolt Action.
With an equal love of  rockets and Ice Hockey, he constantly explores weird and wonderful army lists
in his never-ending quest to collect them all.

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.