Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Panzerjaeger I spotlight



From Wikipedia

The Panzerjäger I (German "Tank Hunter 1") was the first of the German tank destroyers to see service in the Second World War. It mounted a Czech Skoda 4.7 cm pak anti-tank gun on a converted Panzer I Ausf. B chassis. It was intended to counter heavy French tanks like the Char B1 that were beyond the capabilities of the 3.7 cm PaK 36 anti-tank gun then in service and served to extend the usable lifetime of otherwise obsolete Panzer I tanks. Over 200 were converted in 1940—41. They were employed in the Battle of France, in the North Africa Campaign and on the Eastern Front.


In Flames of War


Name
 weapon
Mobility
 range
Front
 ROF
Side
 anti-tank
Top
 Firepower
Equipment and Notes
Panzerjäger I
 4.7cm PaK(t) gun
Half-tracked
24"/60cm
0
2
0
8
0
4+
 
Hull mounted.
The panzerjaegers (which we affectionately call Marder Primes) are fairly singular in their purpose. With no machine gun for anti-infantry duties, and light armor, their role is clear: Anti-tank sniper. I look forward to getting these on the board, and hope that they can give the French a "what have you!"

Tom's Panzerjaegers have featured fairly prominently in several of our early war games, most notably here where I borrowed them and used them and Panzer IVs to hold up his SOMUAs and thus stop one flank cold. I am looking forward to getting my own into action!



Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.