Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Bolt Action - Review: The Assault Group German MG42 & Special Edition Command

by Dirty Jon

The Assault Group sent us some Germans to review, so naturally Jud used this opportunity to kick me in the pants about getting my Germans done for Bolt Action.  The models include a Panzergrenadier MG-42 with crew and a special edition officer.  I was pretty excited to get another MG42 into my German force, so I tore into these guys immediately!


You get an MG 42 with two crewmen, an ammo bearer and a spotter with binocs.



The sculpts looked very good, with life-like and natural poses.  The details on the equipment looked great and accurate.  I found no "mystery pouches" and each figure seemed to have the appropriate gear for his role.  I also liked the mix of helmets and caps on the figures, to offer some variety.  In looking at the faces, these looked pretty good and life-like as well.  Some other manufacturers' faces look a little beastly or Orcish -- none of that here.


Lots of flashing between the chin and the chest.
I did find that the figures had a ton of flashing on them.  I had to spend quite a bit of time (and two hobby knives) cleaning up flashing on the models.  In some areas, it was very hard to get out and I finally just declared "good enough" and moved on.

Mold line all the way down the figures.

The figures painted up really well and I just love metal figures!  The detail on the figures is very deep, allowing for easy highlighting.  I was impressed by the sturdiness of the ammo belt on this figure -- there was no fear of accidentally breaking it off during construction.

(At this point, I'd like to add that Jon turned this unit out in one night! I've got to start ordering and painting armies one unit at a time like this. - J)

I could not fit the gun on a large round base as I had done previously, so I just made a base out of some spare plywood I had sitting around.










Conclusion: 7 of 10 Halftracks
In the end, these turned out fine, as the models painted up very well.  I am deducting several points for the epic flash battle endured prior to painting - let's hope this gets sorted.  I particularly liked the high accuracy and detail on the figures - something that can be lacking in some manufacturers..  The MG42 comes in at £6.50, which is not too shabby.

Miniatures provided by The Assault Group

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.