Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bolt Action - How to Paint White Wash The Old Man Morin Way

Welcome back gang,

Old Man Morin here with a look at how I paint dirty, warn Winter War tanks. Now if you missed it earlier, Judson also wrote an article a few weeks back on the same topic though his methods are very different from mine. You can find his great article here.

Now as many of you know I have been chipping away at a Finn army for quite some time now. My newest addition is the formidable (on the Bolt Action table anyway) BT-42. Trenchworx makes an excellent kit for this tank. Up until recently it was 3D printed and was pricey BUT rejoice!!! It is now out in resin, for a fraction of the cost. The model I am painting today is the 3D printed one (I couldn't help myself) but I look forward to seeing the resin kit in person (I have one in the mail).




I started by spraying the model black and painting it Russian Armour Green (Vallejo). I did this a little sloppily and I left a few spots patching. The only thing I really cared about at this point was that the paint was applied smoothly. To save time you could just as easily leave the tank black. You can see why in the next frame.
I then used a can of white spray paint to lightly paint the tank white. Notice I intentionally left the coverage light at best.
I then very messily applied GW's Nuln Oil paint. 
I then applied a very watered down coat of white paint over the top. I left this out of corners and crevices. I also left a slightly larger gap between plates than I normally would. I wanted these to be pronounced.
Next, I took some extra blister pack foam and tore it into strips. I dipped these strips in Russian Armour Green (Or it's other name Cam Olive Green) and wiped most of the paint off until almost none was left on the foam. I then padded the strips onto heavy wear areas of the tanks like corners, flat plates where people might step, etc. Once I had done that I brushed extra marks and edges into place using the same green colour and small amounts of black and dark grey.
I then painted Typhus Corrosion onto the track sections to give them texture that a dry brush would catch. I them dry brushed the tracks several different types of brown to give them a nasty muddy look. And then glued them onto the tank.

And Shazam! One Winter War, or Continuation War in this case, tank is done. I had never tried this method before and I am really pleased with the end results. It is a dirtier and messier looking finish than I usually go for but I think it fits the rest of my army perfectly.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this process on our Facebook page or on our forums.

Til next time!

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.