Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 28, 2015

Heretical Bananas: Horus Heresy-Era Imperial Fists

By Tom de Mayo

Since moving away from Richmond, I'm in an area with lots of Warhammer 40k, but not much Flames of War. So I've been painting a lot of 28mm Warhammer 40k. One of my latest projects has been a Horus Heresy army.

Of the existing legions, I wanted a loyalist force. After a few test models and a lot of dithering, I settled on the Imperial Fists. I've been doing them on the cheap, using the basic GW plastics mixed in with only a little bit of semi-precious Forgeworld resin. My forces are a mix of loyalist and chaos elements, with a bit of conversion, and some plasticard.

Yellow is a pain in the ass to paint. It took me a long time to come up with a technique I like. I have settled spraying them black. Then I dry brush a base coat of GW Steel Legion drab. I then layer a 50/50 mix of Steel Legion Drab and Averland Sunset, followed by pure Averland Sunset, and finally 30/30/30 Averland Sunset, Yriel Yellow and white, for a nice creamy color. I then wash the armor with a mix of Vallejo Brown ink, Vallejo Black ink and water.














If I can't push towards Berlin, at least let the galaxy burn!

Tom de Mayo's crotch has terrorized the battlefields of WWPD for many years. He is the author of the sister (cousin, ex-wife in the attic?) blog Building a Better Wargame.

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.