Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Muster 2011

Yesterday Joe and I rode up to the Muster Late War FoW tournament in Williamsburg VA. We met up with our crew there: Luke, Dirty Jon, and Mad Dog De Mayo. I submitted my list a long time ago and was surprised when I remembered I included SS Tigers. Looking at my list going into the tournament I knew my one (or at least my most glaring) weak spot would be a huge dug in infantry horde with lots of support. But I also knew in a battle of mobility I had a huge advantage. Without further ado- here is a brief AAR. I stole some of these pictures from Joe- check out his AAR here: http://mezzwargames.blogspot.com.


My army.

GAME ONE: ENCOUNTER VS JOE'S BIG RED ONE RIFLE COMPANY



MY PANZER LEHR GEPANZERTEPANZERGRENADIER COMPANY
  • HQ
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • 3x Panzer IV H
  • 2x SS Tigers
  • Armored Panzerwerfers + extra Crew
  • 3x Pumas

JOE'S VETERAN RIFLE COMPANY
  • HQ + 2 Bazookas
  • Rifle Platoon
  • Rifle Platoon
  • Rifle Platoon
  • 4x Shermans
  • 81mm Mortar Battery
  • M10 Tank Destroyers
  • Combat Engineers





Game one was against Joe. The mission was encounter. I started with my Tigers, 1 panzergrenadier platoon, and the panzerwerfers. Joe started with his mortars, a rifle platoon, and his engineers. To make a long story short, I sent one panzergrenadier platoon along with the HQ and 2iC in their halftracks racing up the middle. Fairly quickly they were able to surround Joe's rifle platoon and pour MG fire into them. Joe had moved up to the bocage, and thus was not dug in. The platoon quickly melted under 6 halftracks worth of MG + a followup assault. This grabbed me the objective and the game. At this point I felt bad that me and Joe had such a quick first game, but we did get a chance to walk around and check out the vendors. 6-1.


GAME TWO: BREAKTHROUGH VS TONY JACOBY'S STORM COMPANY



MY PANZER LEHR GEPANZERTEPANZERGRENADIER COMPANY
  • HQ
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • 3x Panzer IV H
  • 2x SS Tigers
  • Armored Panzerwerfers + extra Crew
  • 3x Pumas

TONY'S STORM GROUP
  • HQ w/ kommissar
  • Storm Group w/ 3 45mm AT Guns + light howitzers + 5 sapper teams
  • Storm Group w/ 3 45mm AT Guns + light howitzers + 5 sapper teams
  • Scout Platoon (3 stands)
  • 9x T-34/85



Game two was basically my nightmare. Attacking a massive dug in, fearless trained soviet force. To make matters worse, my lines of sight were abysmal as a massive line of bocage stratched diagonally from corner to corner, providing him an amazing barrier. I was sort of at a loss here, but elected to start with everything on the board except 1 panzergrenadier platoon who would do my flank attack. Going back over the battle in my head, I would've changed a few things for sure, but it is what it is.

In the end, my flank attack failed miserably. They came racing on and attempted to launch a mounted assault on one of the big storm groups. We were pinned in defensive fire, and then completely annhilated the following turn. My SS Tigers failed miserably in an assault on another storm group, and the rest of my platoons were just slowly chewed apart. I refused to give up though, and fought tooth and nail until the bitter end. I had both of his storm groups below half, but could not finish them off. In the end I was left with 1 panzer IV H, and my panzerwerfers. Everything else was vaporized. Tony was a great opponent, and despite the horrible crushing defeat it was a great game- I look forward to playing Tony again in the future! 1-6.

GAME THREE: HASTY ASSAULT VS DIRTY JON'S GUARDS ARMOURED



MY PANZER LEHR GEPANZERTEPANZERGRENADIER COMPANY
  • HQ
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • Panzergrenadier Platoon + faust
  • 3x Panzer IV H
  • 2x SS Tigers
  • Armored Panzerwerfers + extra Crew
  • 3x Pumas

JON'S GUARDS ARMORED
  • HQ (2 Cromwells) + 2x Cromwell CS + Cromwell ARV
  • Armoured Platoon (3x Cromwells + 1 Challenger)
  • Armoured Platoon (3x Cromwells + 1 Challenger)
  • Column Platoon (he chose mortars for this game)
  • 4x Stuart V
  • Recon Patrol (2 Dingos, 2 armored cars- I forget which)


This is another game in progress on this table. I forgot to grab a picture of it- thanks to Joe for this pic. This would be looking from Jon's point of view.

I basically had a panzergrenadier unit bristling with AT weapons blocking the main central road, and SS Tigers on my right flank covering the open ground. I was going to say "dominating" the open ground, but in truth my Tigers did next to nothing this game.

This was going to be a tough fight for Jon and he knew it. He sent a Guards Armored unit forward and gutted my Panzer IVs, with just a single tank remaining (who passed motivation!). Eventually 1 SS Tiger went down to a challenger. Nearing turn 6 he had to start keeping guys on my side of the board. A Guards Armored unit raced forward and took shots on my panzerwerfers. I got my last panzergrenadier unit in from reserve and they were able to assault the tanks and knock them out. Both Guards Armored units went down to combined fire from the Tigers, Pz IVs, and panzerschrecks. On the left flank, Jon desperately attempted to assault my panzergrenadiers across the bocage, but it went predictably south. My remaining SS Tiger knocked out his company commander, putting Jon below half and with no commander, put an end to the game. 6-1.

In the end, I had 14 points (13 victory points, and an additional 1 for turning my list in early.) Not really sure where that put me in the pack, but I was pretty happy with the result. I did win best painted army, which was very nice! Of course, I left my prize (the panzerkanonen) at the convention. oops!


In all, it was a great event! Plus- I sort of looked like a nerdy lumberjack. Bonus.

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.