Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

New Army Project: Big Red One. Part 1, The List!

By Throckmorton

Over the course of at least the next few months or so I'm going to focus primarily on American armies for my Late War Flames of War forces. My goal is to complete 2 tank, 2 mech and 2 infantry lists. I've already got a start on a light tank company, so a medium/Sherman focused one will get in the pipe as well. For mech, I'll be doing ARP and Cav Recon. For infantry, I've got a ton of Para's, and have always wanted to do a Bastogne list. Each of these lists will be at 1650 to fit into next years late war tournament meta, but I imagine will the all the extras I'll have at the end I could go pretty big.

But first, and possibly most challenging, I'm going to focus on a 1st Infantry Division list from Overlord. I've always wanted to do an invasion force replete with water effects, blood, beach obstacles and all that good stuff. Add on to that that one of my favorite movies as a kid was "The Big Red One" and I've got a recipe for personal modeling enjoyment.

To get started, I had to figure out what the heck I wanted to paint up and play. Now, I love going to competitions and have frequently been beaten heartily by many of you dear readers. I'm hoping to change that a bit by putting something a bit more competitive together than my quixotic German lists (I still contend that KG Hummel is AWESOME).






For my first infantry list I wanted something that could attack aggressively against other infantry to give me the edge in Fair Fight missions. The Assault Company from Overlord is the perfect pick. You get a ton of stuff, confident veteran core infantry and great support. I'd actually make the argument that the Boat Section from that list is the second best infantry platoon in the game behind dismounted ARP. With flamethrowers, bazookas and the ability to traverse some obstacles my only gripe is that I wish they were a touch bigger, maybe 11 stands instead of 9, but nothing is perfect.

So, keeping all that in mind (and with some great help from the forums) here's the list I came up with via EasyArmy:

8 platoons means when in reserve or delayed reserve I can bring on the 4 platoons that can counter the attack the best. Mostly I'm thinking that will be at least 2 boat sections and the Toads with either the Pio's or the other boat section as my 4th choice. I find when dealing with reserves with infantry it's always best to get as much meat on the table as early as possible to hold off assaults and give your line some depth. The NGFS means I get arty even if I'm half on half off, which is great.

With the recon, 3 boat sections, Towed TD's and the NGFS I've got a solid attacking element against infantry. The AT platoons, Engineers and Boat sections can all ably defend. And with the 81's I can smoke while the NGFS bombards. Seems solid... I hope :)

Over the course of the next few posts I'll go into how I decided to the basing and painting, cover the units and end up with a battle report.





What say you! Am I being a beardy bastard for going with full heavy cruiser NGFS? Am I doomed to bloody failure with this list? Let me know on the forums.

Get off the Beach!
"Throckmorton is a reclusive cactus farmer living somewhere in the frosty northern climes of Alberta, Canada. When not pricking himself on pointy caryophyllales, he occasionally deigns to climb down from his northern 'Cactus Throne' to play some Flames and very occasionally writes about his adventures on Throck Of War, his personal blog."

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.