Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Star Wars Armada - Painting Guide for Armada Rogues and Villains

I knocked these guys out in about 3 hours, and figured I'd share my techniques here! All colors referenced are Vallejo paints. I used el cheapo flat black spray for the stands, but masked off "connecting" points so it all still fit together nicely. The wash I use is CGR Painters' excellent Magic Mudd. All cockpits were done with a Pitt artist pen with a small nib.
The whole crew!

 Rogues.

Villains.

For all models I did a simple process: Spray coat black, Apply a thinned down base coat (sometimes twice for the lighter color ones). Once dry, I painted all the details with a Windows & Newton Series 7 size 0 brush. Once all of the details were done, I liberally washed the ship with the Magic Mudd, then soak up any areas that are pooling with a Q-tip. When dry, I used my artist pen to carefully draw in the cockpit.

YT-1300 and YT-2400
These guys are basically painted identically, save for a splash of yellow on the YT-2400. The base coat was a custom mix between Khaki and Pale Sand until I felt it was a close match to my X-Wing model.

 For the tiny color spots I used Hull Red, London Grey, and Sky Grey.

 The engine glow was a cheap hobby paint light blue. (Americana Victorion Blue). I fill in the engine area, then add 50/50 white to the mix and do a thin line in the center.



HWK 290
I used Hull Red for the base coat, but that was way off. I went from memory but shouldn't have. The X-Wing model is really more of a flat brown or cavalry brown. Still, I was already done by the time I realized how off it was, and I'm way too lazy to go back and fix it!

 The nibs on the end of the engine and cockpit framing are all sky grey. The red is true red.


Scurrg H-6 Heavy Bomber
I referenced a Google Image search picture for this thing, since I had no idea what it really was. I used el cheapo hobby orange (Americana Bright Orange) over a sky grey base coat.

 The darker grey is London Grey.

Jumpmaster 5000
This one was a ton of fun to paint for some reason. The base coat is Sky Grey, with True Red and Americana Victorian Blue rounding out the color palette. Victorian blue was also the engine colors.



Aggressor
Base coat of Sky Grey, pick out some details in London Grey, then a touch of Victorian Blue. Done.

YV-666
This is my favorite of the bunch. Base color is Beige Brown. Trim is True Red. The "teeth" are sky grey. The engine deck is London Grey.


Firespray-31
Oh man, Boba Fett! I love that guy! Base coat of Sky Grey. Pick out details in London Grey. The pinkish red color was a mix of True Red and Sky Grey (about 60/40). I used that same color for the engine glow, then mixed in some white for the center of the glow.


I can't wait to see how these guys look on the table!

If you're thinking about painting them, my advice is just to go slow. Brace both hands (the hand holding the model and the hand doing the painting) on the table and/or each other. Take your time, and they can turn out nice!

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.