Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 18, 2015

Down, But Not Out About Flames of War

By "Dirty" Jon Baber

As most of you have seen, there is certainly a drop in the amount of Flames of War coverage on the blog and in the podcast.  A few you have spoken to me or shot me a note asking me what's going on.  I figured that I would put some thoughts on the page, as it were, and see if I could figure out what is going on with my (lack of) interest in Flames of War.

Please note, I am speaking about my personal views only - you'll have to ask Steven, Luke and Eric what they think.

Too Much, Too Fast
Some of it is certainly that we played a LOT of it for quite a while.  Even more, I did some insane work painting and constructing FoW models - I painted and assembled 231 Tanks in 2013.  We went to a ton of tournaments and played a bunch around town.  If you listen to some of the old podcasts, you can hear about us playing a ton of games.

It seems to me that we went a little bonkers with Flames for a while.  As with anything, "those who burn twice as bright, burn half as long."

Other Games Got Good
Over time, we really got into some good board, card and lighter-weight miniature games.  Fantasy Flight has knocked a couple of balls out of the park with the LotR, Conquest, Games of Thrones and Netrunner LCGs.  They also have stepped it up with Armada and X-Wing for miniatures and things like Lords of Waterdeep.  Heck, I even got back in to Battletech a bit.

Right now, when we get together, it is just easier and more fun for us to play one of these low-maintenance games.  The setup and tear-down time is just not as appealing as it once was for Flames.  I also just don't want to play Luke or Steven for the 50th time.

Uninteresting Content
First of all - before I get a ton of crap from anyone - this is my opinion, and only mine.  MANY will disagree with me, and that is fine.  I have no interest in changing your mind if you love the new stuff.  I also have no interest in you trying to change mine.  With that...

...I'm just not excited about the new FoW stuff.  I didn't get into 'Nam, which I hear is pretty fun.  I think Team Yankee is wrong at 15mm - it should be at 6mm and a Battalion-Level game.  I am not interested in the Pacific from a ground combat game point of view.  This was never my area of study, so I guess I never developed a huge interest.  I think the last FoW content I was interested in was Remagen, which was great.  Berlin just didn't do it for me - seemed like the same ol' stuff.

What's next?  Apparently, Pacific and Team Yankee.  Meh.  If you like it, I am super glad!  For me, I just don't seem to have much interest.  I totally forgot about The Great War, so yeah.  Whatever the reasons, I am just not excited about the new stuff.

Nothing Local
There is ZERO FoW around my locality.  We had a pretty good group going back in the day, but with people moving away, shops closing or dropping FoW, there just isn't the level of interest.  Many of the "near-local" I95 guys have pretty much moved on from FoW.  I could scare up a game with Wally, Andrew or Luke, but where in the past I was all about that, now I just kinda shrug.  I barely have a table set up to play on these days.

Digital Content Move
I don't want to get the new digital content.  I liked Easy Army fine, but - for some reason I just can't figure out - I have no interest in any of the new digital content.  Maybe it is just that it is an extra step and I already kinda don't have interest in the books up there.  I have a wall of FoW books that I play out of today - I just can't get on board with the new digital stuff.  I really do not want to carry a tablet around at a tournament.

New Interests
From a modeling and painting point of view, I have moved on to some other things.  I have an active, interested group of friends who go to Comic Cons now and we make all kinds of fun stuff.  So, where I would grab a Panzer IV in the past, I now grab some craft foam and make a helmet. I find this challenging, interesting and fun!

So, I guess it is death by a thousand cuts, eh?  I am still plenty excited about going to tournaments and playing games there - I really enjoy it.  I dig talking some lists, tactics and what not while I am there, but when the tournament is done, I am pretty much done.  I am certainly not AGAINST FoW, but I think I might just be at a low-point.  Watch this space to see if I rebound!


Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.