I recently picked up 3 Zvezda Shturmoviks from The War Store on the cheap, and painted them almost as soon as they came in! These are plastic 1:144 models that are snap fit (Of course I still used some glue). Putting them together was fairly simple. I did, however, decide to chop off the propeller blades. They were very flimsy and I just knew they wouldn't hold up.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the kit included a sheet of decals. Nothing as fancy as the Battlefront Shturmovik markings, but something's better than nothing at that price! In all I am quite happy with how they turned out, though was just a tiny bit disappointed in the lack of panel details on the wings. But, for the price, I am quite happy with them! hopefully they nab copious amounts of German armor come Version 3!
8 out of 10 red bears.
FROM WIKIPEDIA
The Ilyushin Il-2 (Cyrillic Илью́шин Ил-2) was a ground-attack aircraft (Shturmovik) in the Second World War, produced by the Soviet Union in very large numbers. In combination with its successor, the Ilyushin Il-10, a total of 42,330 were built, making it the single most produced military aircraft design in all of aviation history, as well as one of the most produced piloted aircraft in history along with the American postwar civilian Cessna 172 and the Soviets' own Polikarpov Po-2. It is regarded as the best ground attack aircraft of World War II. It was a prominent aircraft for tank killing with its accuracy in dive bombing and its 37mm guns being able to penetrate tanks' thin back armour.
To Il-2 pilots, the aircraft was simply the diminutive "Ilyusha". To the soldiers on the ground, it was the "Hunchback", the "Flying Tank" or the "Flying Infantryman". Its postwar NATO reporting name was "Bark". The Il-2 aircraft played a crucial role on the Eastern Front, and in Soviet opinion it was the most decisive aircraft in the history of modern land warfare. Joseph Stalin paid the Il-2 a great tribute in his own inimitable manner: when a particular production factory fell behind on its deliveries, Stalin sent an angrily-worded cable to the factory manager, stating "They are as essential to the Red Army as air and bread." [6]
See full article here (Wikipedia, 1/3/2012)
IN FLAMES OF WAR
image courtesy of EasyArmy.
Popular Posts In the last 30 Days
-
Hello Everyone, time for another gaming article by Sexy Sixes :) This time, I would like to share some of my own thoughts on how Flame...
-
Ghost Army Podcast: Episode 5 The GAP is back with a HUGE 5th episode. The guys talk with players and the T.O.'s of Cancon and Bolt Act...
-
Many people have asked about using the "Battle Recorder" that was recently implemented into World of Tanks. As a note, only users...
-
I finally got my copy of Hellfire and Back and can't wait to start getting some games in with it! This is the latest book for Flames o...
-
by Eric Riha With the re-printing of Red Bear and the coming of the new Desperate Measures book, most of us are happy to know the Soviets ...



