Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 3, 2013

Alternative Spray Colors: Krylon Woodland Light Green

Since we have been without spray paint from Battlefront for over a year, I have started to search for some alternative colors for use with my Flames of War armies.  With my considerable stockpiles running low, I spied out Krylon Woodland Light Green as a possible solution for my Late War British armor.  Let's take a look!

I proceeded to spray the tracks black and drybrush on Russian Uniform, which is my standard color for LW British Tanks.   I sprayed down the Krylon on the hulls and turrets....

Previously painted M10 for comparison.
...and about had a heart attack.  Gah!  Those things are BRIGHT.  I mean, they looked like some sort of neon Goblin color or something.  I was pretty skeptical, and only got a small bit of hope when I looked at the model closely with the tracks glued on -- it wasn't THAT far off, I told myself.  Oh well, there is a reason I picked these pretty random models I had around, so I decided to see it through - perhaps a heavy wash would do it.
Very bright, indeed!

The offending can - Curse You!, I thought.

Is this really a camouflage color?  How the hell can this be?
As I proceeded to paint the tanks, I really did not feel any better.  It was only when I got down to applying the CGR Magik Mudd Wash that I thought these might make it.  See the results below....

The color looks pretty close in this picture -- a little closer than in person, I would say.

In this picture, you can see that the tanks are a bit brighter, even after a very heavy wash with no Gloss Varnish.


To my complete surprise, these actually turned out acceptably well!  They are a little brighter in person than in the pictures, but certainly do not look out of place on the table.  I would make sure that you do a whole platoon at a time, as you can see the difference between this color and the Battlefront color when put next to each other.

Have you found some alternatives?  Let us know in the Forums....

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.