Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Terrain - Center Pieces

While the guys over in Richmond are big on buying their scenery, I am the other side of the fence, I enjoy making my own scenery and would rather sit and make my own terrain regardless of time spent.

With wargames like Warhammer 40k and other sci-fi and fantasy games sourcing terrain is easy, any bottle, tube, broken toy and scraps can be turned into a piece of interesting scenery. With a historical game like Flames of War this isn't so easy, but with a careful selection of parts and a bit of imagination its possible to make some pretty convincing scenery.


CBaxter Already showed us how to make some pretty awesome looking roads (a technique I used below)


http://www.wwpd.net/2012/07/homemade-terrain-paved-roads.html
His tutorial on trenches.
http://www.wwpd.net/2012/06/terrain-tutorial-trench-lines.html
and Fields
http://www.wwpd.net/2012/08/homemade-terrain-fields.html
and finaly his vineyards
http://www.wwpd.net/2012/08/homemade-terrain-vineyards.html

But what about the terrain features like buildings? Factories and Houses arent cheap to buy if you're on a budget, I actually own some very lovely Normandy Buildings by Landmark Miniatures, but I want to expand on my options and cant spare the £200 I dropped on them before.

Not every bit of terrain has to be built from scratch out of foam-board or card, with a bit of luck and imagination can you can find a piece of ready made terrain that just needs a few tweaks. Like this Hotwheels toy building I bought from a carboot sale.

Dressing it up with some corrugated card, some chain link fences and some industrial junk and it can make a pretty convincing factory/warehouse.



Garlic is sold in a fine mesh net, stretched between a few wooden toothpicks and spray painted silver and you have your chain link fence.


These barrels are made of metal beads capped with plasticard. The I beams are plasticard cut into 3 strips and glued together.




These desert buildings are very simple cardboard rectangles with a few windows cut out and wrapped in masking tape then a thin layer of filler.


I made these woods out of balsa wood and an oval disk of card and some additional woodland scenics trees to make a very dense but still tabletop friendly woodland. (not finished, I need to add more clump foliage to hide the supports and dress the sprue trees and fill in the gaps)



So terrain lovers, tell me how you make your scenery and what unusual origins your terrain started off with.

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.