Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 3, 2011

IS-2 Spotlight and Review





FROM WIKIPEDIA

The IS-2 tank first saw combat in the spring of 1944. IS-2s were assigned to separate heavy tank regiments, normally of 21 tanks each. These regiments were used to reinforce the most important attack sectors during major offensive operations. Tactically, they were employed as breakthrough tanks. Their role was to support infantry in the assault, using their large guns to destroy bunkers, buildings, dug-in crew-served weapons, and other 'soft' targets. They were also capable of taking on any German AFVs if required. Once a breakthrough was achieved, lighter, more mobile T-34s would take over the exploitation.




In Flames of War


Name
 weapon
Mobility
 range
Front
 ROF
Side
 anti-tank
Top
 Firepower
Equipment and Notes
IS-2 (obr 1943- no stats for later versions yet)
 122mm D-25T gun
Fully Tracked
32"/80cm
10
1
8
15
2
2+
Co-ax MG, Turret Rear MG, Slow Tank
Heavy Breakthrough Gun
The noble IS-2! Normally, I am not a huge fan of heavy tanks, but these guys seem like a pretty good buy for the price. I have yet to get them on the board, but I've faced them a few times always with disastrous results!







Game Models Review and Thoughts

As you all have come to know by now I am a huge fan of Game Models. For $4 each, Game Models is always a first stop for me. I am usually very happy with them and these models aren't bad- however for the majesty the IS-2s deserve I can't help but feel like I've short changed myself. That really is NOT a knock on the Game Models version at all! But the Battlefront IS-2 is just such an amazing looking miniature. I may seriously consider replacing these guys with some Battlefront ones in the near future- but these will do for now. With a little one on the way I am operating my hobby under severe austerity measures and the $4 price tag sold me!

The models themselves are what you expect from Game Models- very very good for $4 a piece, but they are still $4 models. The hulls themselves are really quite good, but the turrets are fairly pitted and the road wheels are not terribly crisp.

Overall, though, I think they came out pretty good. I absolutely recommend them if you're on a budget, but the Battlefront IS-2s are so good it's difficult to pass them up!

Personally, when making the choice to go with Battlefront or something alternative, it usually comes down to how much money is invested for how many points can be put on the table.  With some other considerations like how versatile the unit is.  The IS-2s are fairly widespread in late war, and they're fairly expensive points wise.  Conversely, a transport rarely sees the table and is worth very very little points.  Anyhow, I am rambling now.

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.