Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: Windsor and Newton Series 7



Okay its time for me to admit something to myself and to the world, I abuse brushes. There I said it, its out in the open for the whole world to see.

Its true however, the amount of care I take with my brushes when I use them would probably make a pro painter cry. I chew the ends, I bend and break the bristles, I leave them in the water and I use the same brush I paint fine detail with to dry brush. I think this has a lot to do with my attitude towards brushes - I see them as disposable. I buy a cheap brush, use it until it loses its tip (which for a cheap brush can be as little as one session) then it gets relegated to the ranks of dry brush or non detail work. It's been this way for years.

I decided it was time for a change of brush and a change of attitude.  So, after reading around, talking to Steven and probing the Internet, I realized there was one name that just kept popping up: Windsor and Newton Series 7.


A recommendation from a Queen isn't going to sway me. Now, their brushes and kits range from expensive to insane depending on where you look. £10.00 for a paint brush seems a little steep to me, what can be so different between my usual £2.00 paint brush and these ones?

I bit the bullet, ordered a size 0 brush (as recommended by our very own Steven) and waited for it to arrive.

First thing to strike me was the size of the bristles, they seemed quite long and wide for a 0, but still holding a very fine tip. After giving it a try, I was pleasantly surprised with how well it held paint, allowing for smoother applications. It also held its tip well during the painting. Getting used to the slightly longer than the brushes I am accustomed to will take a bit of practice.  The tip is fine enough that I would feel comfortable trying to paint eyes on a 15mm model with a bit of meditation and a steady hand.

Its a larger brush then I'm used to, normally opting for as many zeros as I can find - seems logical that the smaller the brush, the smaller the detail, right? After using the Windsor and Newton, I realized its more to do with how well the brush holds the paint and keeps its tip.

I'd highly recommend paying that little bit extra. I've only had a few small sessions with it so far, so cant comment on how long the brush will keep its tip - only time will tell how I will get on with it, but so far I'm happy and would spend the money again. Next time, I may try the next size down.

If you are still using cheap disposable brushes, I'd highly recommend paying that little bit extra for a good quality brush. It might not improve your paint job, but it will make it a much more pleasurable experience.

So tell us your paint brush do's and don'ts on the forum, how do you care for your brush? What size do you use for what task?

9 out of 10 Stray Bristles

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.