Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 6, 2012

List Construction: 50th Tyne and Tees

As most of you guys know, British Late War is my first love in Flames of War.  When Version 3 came out, I really only played my Market-Garden British and my Germans.  I am now returning back to my roots with this new list.  I am going with 1750 because, hey -- I'm old school.

I am using Turning Tide and the 50th Tyne and Tees Infantry Company, which is Confident Veteran.

Command - 30 points.  1720 left.
Easy enough. I have to get a command which comes with 2 Rifle teams.  As with most British lists, there are not a ton of upgrades here, so I will stick with the minimum.  I get to re-roll my first failed Company Morale check with Dead Men Walking.

(2) Rifle Platoons - 180 points each.  1360 left.
 Again, no real options here.  These come with 6 Rifle/MG teams, a light mortar and a PIAT.  At 9 stands, these are not too bad, but will not be the main platoons of my force.

It is now time to add some mobile assets.  I like to run with at least 2 platoons that can run around the board and engage enemy tank assets.



Corps Anti-tank Platoon (SP), Royal Artillery (Confident Trained) - 260 points.  1,100 left.
This unit comes with 4 M10C 17pdrs.  I really love this unit.  The 13 AT is just amazing, and I like it being Trained to keep the cost down.  I also find that I am motivated to keep these hidden and safe when Trained, as they get shot up pretty bad in the open.

With V3 changes to flamethrowers, I think that the Crocodile platoon is out.  I need a substitute mobile unit.
Armoured Platoon (Reluctant Veteran) - 325 points.  775 left.
This platoon is also a great buy.  With the Firefly, I add another AT 13 asset to my force, along with 3 Cromwells that move 16".  The Cromwells have Protected Ammo and British Bulldog to help make up for being Reluctant.  I also like that this whole platoon has Semi-indirect fire, letting me get re-rolls to hit over 16" if I don't move.  This unit is a very good multi-purpose unit.

Now that I have 4 platoons, I need to start thinking about support and the number of platoons I am going to have.  I think 8 platoons is a good number with 775 points left.  I know I need to get some Recce and some smoke for this list.
Assault Field Battery (SP), Royal Artillery - 290 points.  485 left.
The 4 Priests and all the fixins are a big splurge.  Again, I like the versatility of this unit -- I can smoke, bombard really well with the British arty rules, chase stuff with the .50cals, etc.  I get a Staff Team, 2 Command Rifle teams, and a Sherman OP.  I add in the Jeeps and trucks to make this unit as mobile as possible.

Air Observation Post - 25 points.  460 left.
Duh.


Recce Platoon - 285 points.  175 left.
I need Recce.  I want to be able to remove Gone to Ground, get a Recce move at the start of the game, and add in some mobile machine gun platforms.  This is a great opportunity to add in 2 platoons for under 300 points.  I go with 3 Humber IVs, 2 Humber LRC IIIs in the first, and 3 Universal Carriers plus 1 extra hull-mounted MG in the second (which are all purchased as one option).  With 3 AT 7 guns, and 2 AT4 AT Rifles, I should even be able to threaten Marders and other Recce units.  I also like that I have 5 teams in this unit to absorb hits.

The 3 Universal Carriers are perfect for sneaking up and removing GTG and count as a separate platoon.  If I find infantry or Nebs in the open, I can shoot them up pretty well.



Anti-tank Platoon - 140 points.  35 left.
I just cannot seem to give up on the 6 pdr gun.  I think that V3 really beefed these guys up, so I grab 4 of them and their Lloyd Carriers as well.  AT 10, ROF 3, 4+ FP that can hit both Infantry and Tanks sounds good to me.  On defense, I can really use these guys to harden up a strong point with the Infantry.

With just 35 points left, I scan around for something to help out my poor bloody infantry.

CSM Stan Hollis, VC - 35 points.  0 left.
Hollis gives me a boost to one of the infantry platoons.  He hits on a 2+ in Assaults, and his platoon passes Motivation tests on a 3+.  He also has an SMG which can help out as well.

Conclusion:
I think this list is pretty balanced and should do well against most lists.  I may have some trouble with giant infantry blobs and I have no way of dealing with Aircraft.  Oh well, you can't best everything!

Got some ideas of your own?  Head on over to our Forums to discuss!

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.