Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Zvezda BA10M

I have thought about a Soviet Armoured car company for some time. Unfortunately, I am afflicted with deep pockets but very short arms so I am always on the lookout for a bargain. Along comes Zvezda with their plastic kit at just over 1/3rd the price per model of some of their competitors and suddenly the project is a go.


Looking at Mid war for FoW specifically you can take two units of BA10s, a "Light Armoured Car platoon" with up to 5 models and a full "Armoured Car company" with up to 10 models. That's a total of 15 fearless trained models costing 500 points on the nose. Add to that they are wheeled, reconnaissance, AT7, 4 MG shots and do not suffer from hen and chicks you are looking at possibly the most mobile and cost effective unit available to the soviets in mid war.

As always- thanks Easy Army!

On to the kit itself.
First impressions - usual box for Zvezda 1/100 kit. I open the box and OMFG its like the 222 kit on steroids!!!! Around 25 parts at a rough count and the completed turret is cast as a single bit. My heart sank, as I had 6 of these monsters to build to go with my other 4 from other sources.


Out came the scalpel and glue ("snap together, no glue required" my backside). An hour later, I had the completed model and I have to say it was awful. There were large gaps where it fitted together (or rather didn't) and I felt I had wasted both my money and time. I stepped back, watched some telly, killed some aliens and started on the next one (remember I have deep pockets and short arms so I was not going to waste the money). This time it went together better because I understood the construction a little more. I timed making the 3rd one and it was a little over 20 minutes including allow the glue to dry. There were still some gaps, but not as noticeable. By the time I finished the 6th one I had construction time down to 15 minutes and no gaps!
I went back to first one and used some "green stuff".  I worked my way through it and I had the 6 completed.

Painting next. I sprayed the car undercoat, Russian Green.  I dry-brushed Russian uniform, then a light dry-brush of Iraqi Sand to pick out highlights.  I  added shading and finally decals and weathering. "Jobs a good un".


Plus points
- Cost (I pay £2.50 each compared with £6.75 for BF)
- Conversion possibilities are very good

Downsides
- They are a (insert your own expletive here) to build until you get the hang of them
- Detail is a little shallow
- There is no front bumper (fender?) supplied.
- No commander option

Overall the detail is shallow but my painting style is OK with that. Would I buy more? Yes is the answer. I am planning on buying another 10 to be honest. Five to make up the "Light Armoured car platoon" option and another 5 to convert to troop transports for a rota company option to vary my Bren Carrier options.
 All mixed up...BF and Zvesda


Comparisons with Battlefront
It is fairly plain to see that the BF version is a touch bigger than the Zvezda version. The Zvezda barrel looks thinner and is probably more in keeping with the scale of the model. BF have said they are aiming for a unique, almost cartoony look, so that would account for the difference. As to measurements, the real armoured car was 4.65m long x 2.2m tall, BF measures 5.05x2.43 and Zvezda measures 4.55x2.1  Pay your money and take your choice




Construction Hints and Tips
Take the top 2 panels off first and glue them together and set to one side to dry for use later.
Follow the instructions about not pressing the 2 front sides onto the pin all the way until you have the top in place
Do not add the spare wheels until last
Use glue!

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.